Wednesday, April 30, 2008

(Supposed to Be) Last Post!!!! Reflections on Torture, FMA, Final Paper...

This is supposed to be my last post, but I think I still have to finish two more on Berlin to catch up. The goal this time is by tomorrow....



Anyways, this final paper seems to me to be very different from the papers that I've written before. Obviously teachers usually don't want pictures to waste space in papers, but the main difference is Spencer wanting us to take a more complicated and less restrictive approach from the standard thesis-driven paper.

In what little free time I have, I have over the past few months been watching the anime Full Metal Alchemist. It is probably considered an old anime by now, but it was and is very popular, and for good reason. Though I am annoyed with the third and fourth openings, the music is good to decent. Not as good as Tsubasa Chronicle. The characters are complex and well-developed over time. However, the best part of Full Metal Alchemist is its often-times shocking thematic elements and motifs. An obvious parallel is that to Nazi Germany, and the plot even contains the equivalent of an albeit smaller Holocaust. Discrimination and militarism are blatant, and it is interesting to see how the protagonists deal with each. Examples of more subtle themes unfortunately would spoil the plot. I would definitely give this anime a 10 out of 10 and recommend it to anyone, though. Also, it is interesting to see some stylistic manga elements in the anime--in a few (or one episode) the screen is even split up to form panels, and the emotional reactions of the characters are often depicted in amusingly iconic ways.



On to class-related topics, though. Namely, torture. Torture, which is supposed to be a taboo, but is widely and clandestinely practiced throughout the world. I'm not even going to touch torture in the United States, but I am appalled at the state of affairs in Israel. I completely agree with Sacco's ironic use of "Israel is the Middle East's only democracy."

No comments: